Friday 28 March 2014

Style-ish Scraplift


At my recent scrapbooking retreat I was getting to know my table-mates Karen and Michelle and admiring their skills with masks, stamps and inks for making beautiful backgrounds when Karen challenged us to get out of our comfort zones by swapping styles.  She reckoned it would do me good to get inky for a change and she might have fun trying out a more blocky C&S style.

Scrap 365 Sketch March 2014The Counterfeit Kit Challenge Blog had a challenge to add texture to your background which needed doing.  I also wanted to have a go with Scrap 365's March sketch and wondered if I could replace most of the layers of paper with layers of texture paste and ink ...

I used a 6x6 Crafter's Workshop punchinella stencil and some texture paste to add 2 strips of small dots across the page as well as a scrap of white card for an extra layer.  Once these were dry I added some colour to the background before inking through a chevron stencil right across the page.  This was then overlaid with the 12x12 version of the punchinella stencil and more texture paste.  Finally I added some ink splatters before layering up the photo on scraps of paper from my March Counterfeit Kit.

Jimjams - Layout - Seaworld 2001

The page needed a little more colour ... a sun made from a spiral paperclip and some washi combined with a few of my kit's starry gems did the trick.

Jimjams - Layout detail - texture paste, stencilling, washi clip and gems

Hmmm ... it certainly is inkier than my normal but you'll note that I still had to have my layers horizontally placed across the page!  Karen adopted the blocky graphic style of one of my pages but couldn't quite resist adding a few trademark ink splats - we are obviously both creatures of habit!

ETA: Here is Karen's style scraplift of my original page.

Do you have a particular technique/style that you struggle to avoid?  Do you ever style-scraplift your friends' pages?

15 comments:

Lesley G said...

Well done Karen on taking you out of your comfort as look at the mazing page you produced. Love how you transformed that paperclip. Let's see more messy... :)

kjjc said...

Lovely to see it blogged. It's a great layout-what we call inky and messy in a clean and graphic style. Loved being with you and looking forward to seeing you at the next one.

Sian said...

I think this looks fantastic! I haven't got a crop to go to here, but I'm sure I would enjoy experimenting with a bit of personal encouragement. Someone to show me what to do would be good fun I think

Sandra said...

I'm thinking you may have found a new style for you. This is great

Mary B said...

love the inking and that sun is a super idea, lovely page altogether

Fay aka Beautifullily said...

Love this and how the layers have come together. Am pinning to try myself!

happysnapper said...

Super washi sun. And love all those textures great one.

Missus Wookie said...

Really like that sun - so cute. I like the page, definitely messy and yet clean and graphic too :)

scrappyjacky said...

Your added texture is just perfect for your theme.

Tina Campbell said...

Wow gorgeous page! Arsty too. the backgrounds looked really cool with all those textures. I've been challenging myself to do more layers and yes I do lift at times usually blog posts though.

Anonymous said...

Better late than never!!! I LOVE what you have done with all that texture; it's worked a treat :) Thank you so much for using our sketch :) The next challenge is up now ...give it a go!! Ali x

Chidkid said...

Oh My! This is just lovely Jemma... with a J... I am loving that wash sunshine paper clip!

Anonymous said...

That's a great take on the sketch and masks should be making an appearance in my Technique Tuesday soon. Although things may have to go on hold for a while as I sort my craft room.

Angela Toucan said...

wow Jemma, that's awesome! I love it.

Karen said...

I love the stencil work on this layout! Fantastic--design, color . . .