Friday 11 October 2013

Going, Going, GONE!

I'm going to a retreat with friends from UKscrappers this weekend and it's going to be a lot of fun.  While I'm gone I thought I'd share the first page made with my October Counterfeit Kit with you:

Jimjams 8x8 Layout - Going, Going, GONE!

It's an 8x8 page to go into the album about our home and the changes we have made over the years.  This was a sad day for us because one of the trees we planted when we moved here has had to come down.  The neighbours were concerned about their fence, the branches that hung over their garden, the leaves that fell on their grass and the shade that dappled their grass.  We were concerned about staying on good terms with them (and the costs of repeatedly trimming the tree every few years) and decided enough was enough.

Jimjams - Layout detail - hand stitched, faux cut-out title

Twenty years to grow and twenty minutes to come down!  Now we can see that our neighbours have a very large tree, but at least it has short branches and is evergreen!

Have a good weekend :-)

13 comments:

Lesley G said...

Love how the down arrows depict the tree coming down - what a shame though, such beautiful trees. Great page but the stitching gives me the shivers. Have a great weekend :)

ComfyMom~Stacey said...

This summer we've had to take out some of the pines we planted when we moved here in 1997. It looks so barren over by the fence line now.

Sandie said...

It is so sad when trees outgrow their space. We have had to loose big shrubs and trees over the years and I find it so hard seeing them go. I hope you can plant something you like in the space. And have heaps of fun at your retreat!!!

Ladkyis said...

Given the choice I would prefer the silver Birch to the "evergreen" because they are usually pines of some kind and all their needles do is kill the ground underneath them. A silver Birch is at least a native tree.

Alison said...

Lovely layout...have a super. Weekend!
Alison xx

Sandra said...

There is a tree in a neighbours garden which I just love. I call it my seasons tree as it's always the first change I see. And as much as I love it, I really do feel for the person whose garden is in the shade of it. A stunning layout and a good reminder of the tree :)

Missus Wookie said...

Have a lovely time at your retreat!

JulieJ said...

Hope you have (had?) a great time. Love the stitching round your title. My parents' neighbours took down their tree for them recently - it had gone rotten and they offered to do it to save M&D the trouble. Such a shame since it had been there for over 45 years and even after a lot of it was cut back it supported a gorgeous clematis. There's a great hole there now.

alexa said...

Glad you still have something green to look at ... And what good neighbours you are! I love your stitching round the letters. Hope the crop is wonderful!

LCSmithSAVED said...

Sad day

Stacy's Paper Crafts said...

I bet it was sad to see your tree come down. I'm glad that you were able to take photos of it. Nice layout.

Julene Matthews said...

I've been in that situation. It is better to keep the peace.Like your layout very much.

petrii said...

I love colors in your LO!!!
This is beautiful!!