Wednesday 10 August 2011

Ten on the Tenth: Top 10 Tools

Today I've been thinking about my 10 must-have scrapbooking tools - what would I really not like to do without?


In no particular order (well alphabetical, but not importance):

Black Foam Dots - these are less likely to show under things and, thrifty as ever, I use the foam surrounding the dots too!
Corner Rounder Punch - probably my oldest tool
Didi Glue Dots - perfect instant sticking for tiny things; this roll is crumpled because I had a 15 minute tussle to get it back out of the dog's mouth - thankfully they still work fine!
Finger Knife - paired with a metal ruler I can, and do, cut anything  
Glue Eraser - great for cleaning up little squidges of ...
Hema's Photo Glue - cheap and cheerful (apart from having to get it from Holland) this re-positionable liquid glue is wonderful!
Pentel Hybrid White Gel Pen - after trying all sorts of brands this is the one that works for me
Precision File Set - love this for filing the edges when decorating bare chipboard with paper
Sewing Machine - great for adding texture to a page (and Hubby's wedding present to me )
Sizzlits Round-a-Bout Dies (and my Sidekick I guess) - love this font

Quite interesting to realise how many "excess" tools I have - punches, trimmers, stamps, pens, dies, rulers, eyelet setters, circle cutters, shape templates, scoring board, embossing tools, decorative scissors, staplers - but although they don't make my top 10, I won't be getting rid of them!!

Check out Shimelle's Blog for more Tens on the Tenth

29 comments:

Anonymous said...

I found it really interesting reading this Jemma. So many similar things but different brands I may just have to try

Sheena said...

loves reading your list x
i've never used black foam pads!
off to find a stockist :D

Mary B said...

Great list think I'll have to get a Finger knife and also some of those black dots and I do agree with using all the surrounding bits. waste not want not

Unknown said...

This had made me think Jemma about what I use the most as well as what I love the most.

I have never heard of black foam dots either.
Jen

Jo.C said...

You made me smile - have an image of your dog struggling to get his mouth open because of the glue dots.
Never seen black foam pads. Interesting post. TFS :0)

Jane said...

I agree with all but the sewing machine, scared of using mine!

Alison said...

Have never seen a finger knife, but I think I need one!!!
Alison xx
P.S. Am off to the P.O. after lunch to post your book!

Nightwolf said...

Great list. I've done something similar this month :)

Anonymous said...

Great list. Must check out that white pen as I have had trouble finding a good one.

helena said...

interesting list - corner rounder is one of my most used and oldest tools

Sian said...

Black foam dots? Now there's a tip! I don't think I have ever seen these, I'll keep an eye out thanks. While I'm shopping for a new corner rounder which was the first tool I ever bought. It snapped a couple of weeks ago

Anonymous said...

Oh great list! I use quite a number of those as well! I am always on the look out for different adhesives, do you have an online source for the Hema glue? Sounds interesting!

Tracy said...

Great list and yep love the black ones are a must..oooh and can`t forget the sewing machine..mines would be top of the list,lol!!

Mrsjobee said...

Great list - another one off to look for black foam dots............

Anonymous said...

Swoooooon! What a lovely lot of tools you have!
Irene x

Ali said...

Oooh, interesting list!

I think mine would have to be (based on what I use all the time):

My little orange-handled Fiskars scissors
My metal ruler
Finger knife
Non-stick craft mat
Glass cutting mat
Finger knife
Tweezers
Heat gun
Stamp n Scrub stamp cleaner
Double-sided tape

Anonymous said...

I'll have to have a think about my 10 most useful tools...it would probably be hard to narrow it down to that few. BTW, I've never heard of a finger knife!

Ruby said...

I too have not heard of the finger knife. Great post.

Connie Mercer said...

ni finger knife here either~great list!!!

scrappyjacky said...

A very interesting list....though my trimmer is probably my most used and essential tool.

Mad for Paper said...

Interesting, my list would have a lot of the same items especially these:
1)The finger knife. I could not use a craft knife before I found this. I always tore the paper. love this!
2)the precision file. I have the Basic grey one and they never get put away. for the little nooks and crannies on chipboard. Nothing better.
Thanks for sharing, lots of fun.
Ang

alexa said...

This is a really interesting list! Makes me think about my own. :)

Beverly said...

Finger knife? I couldn't figure out what you were talking about then saw the pic and was ohhhhh I have one of those and adore it lol

Melissa said...

Great list - isn't it amazing how many tools we have that aren't our favorites, yet we certainly not going to get rid of them! LOL

Kerry said...

That is a good list. I never knew black foam dots were even out there.

Rachel Holaday said...

It's fun to see what someone else's must-have tools are! I'd be lost without my micro-tip scissors...

Sandie said...

Great list, Jemma. It's always interesting to learn what other people use and have as favourites.

Missus Wookie said...

Fun list - quite similar to mine, but I like my white foam dots, found the blacks showed more and use my Xacto knife couldn't get on with the finger knife.

Always fun to see what people think of as essential :)

scrappysue said...

Fun seeing your list of favs! I have the same corner rounder too, its probably one of my oldest tools and I love it! x